Sunday 2 May 2010

Night & Day - Chapter I

Mysterious beings which move in the darkness... frightening, yet attractive... once you meet one, you won't be able to escape it... the more you struggle, the more bound you become to it.

Chapter I

“Good morning Mrs. Miget!”
“Good morning as well, Mrs. Pets!”
My Name is Lydia Miget. I’m a newcomer at Brigs Company, in which I was employed half a year ago.
“Early as usual, aren’t you?”
“The early bird catches the worm, isn’t it right?
“Yes, you’re right ^^”
Georgia Pets is my co-worker. She is only one year older than me, but everyone says that in comparison to her, I’m like her little sister. But even though I’m already 24, many people told me that I don’t look like having more than 17. I was ‘blessed’ with a childish look which caused me some trouble in finding a workplace after graduating from university. Even though I got out with top scores and I’m competent in my work, for about a year I couldn’t find any workplaces. Even though they witnessed my capabilities, they were worried that if someone who looked so much like a child would be their employee, the clients would lose confidence.
“Mrs. Miget, good morning! How are you today?”
“Good morning Mr. Robertson! I’m fresh and ready to go ^^”
“It’s good to see you so energetic. How is your office’s remodeling going?”
“Almost finished, they just have to arrange some more things and it’ll be ready.”
“It’s good then ^^”
Mr. Jake Robertson is my boss. He’s the only one who hired me without taking my appearance into consideration. ‘It’s not the looks that matters, it’s your skills that are important’ is what he said to me.
He’s a kind man in his 50’s, but with the energy of a person in his 30’s. He’s very dedicated to his work, and is kind of like a model for me. All of the other people here are treating me well, so my working days here are really enjoyable. I really thought that I would have a normal job, with a normal salary, leading a normal life. That was until today…
A friend of mine, which is Mr. Robertson’s secretary, asked me to do her a favor as I was passing by.
“Lydia, can you please take these papers to Mr. Robertson’s office for me, please? I’m kind of stuck in this paperwork for the moment and he needs to sign them today”
“Of course, don’t worry about it?”
Before giving them to me, the phone on the desk started ringing. I gave my friend a sign that I would pick it up for her, as it was right in front of me.
“Hello! Brigs Company here! What can we help you with?”
‘Hello! I would like to speak with Mr. Jake Robertson.’
It seemed to be the voice of a young man, and he was talking in a very politely way.
“Oh, yes! I’ll tell him right away. Can you wait for a moment?”
‘Of course. Thanks you!’
I took the documents and then went to Mr. Robertson’s office.
“Mr. Robertson, there’s someone on the line who wants to talk with you.”
“Oh, then I’ll pick it right now. You stay here, I see you have some documents for me.”
“Ok.”
After picking up the receiver, his expression lightened.
“Mr. Devan, good morning. I’m glad that you took the bother to give us a call”
He seemed happy talking with him, even though it was showing on his face that he was nervous.
“Oh, so you’re in England now?”
After hearing his answer, his expression suddenly lightened again as he looked straight at me.
“Don’t worry, I have the perfect person for you right here.”
‘Might it be Mrs. Miget?’
“Yes… it is.”
I was a bit confused about this. Somehow, he knew me…
‘Then I’ll be looking forward to working with her. We’re going to settle the other deals after this.’
“Yes Mr. Devan, I understand.”
‘Well then, goodbye for now.’
“Goodbye.”
After putting down the receiver, he closed his eyes for a moment, breathed in, and then opened them, fixing them on me.
“Mrs. Miget, you’re being reassigned.”
Because he took me by surprise, the only words that came out my mouth were:
“…What?...Where?”
“The person that just called was the son of a first rate lawyer, and which happens that their company is the one financing us. Without their support, we could get ourselves in some big mess…”
“I understand… but what’s with me being reassigned?”
“Mr. Michael Devan is here in order to learn more about the job he is going to take in the future. He’s going to be a lawyer, just like his father. But so far he’s been living abroad, and now is his first time coming to England. And I want you to be his guide, as well as his instructor. Considering your skills, I have the greatest confidence about sending you.”
“Well, in that case… ok… I understand…”
“I’m glad that you’re not against it ^^”
Even though it was sudden, I accepted. How could I refuse this person who was like a father to me? I had to help him in return as well. What I didn’t know is that this was going to be something that would change my life as it was until now…

Author: Lacramioara Cobzaru

No comments:

Post a Comment