Sunday 2 May 2010

Night & Day - Chapter II

It took me a while to find Mr. Devan’s place. Mr. Robertson gave me his address so I could go and settle some matters. But I had the feeling that something was up with him. He was tensed all morning, and when I was preparing to leave the office and go to the appointment, he had an apologetic expression and made me think that he was hiding something, but he told me that it wasn’t something worth worrying about. I left it like that because I know that he usually knows what he is doing.
After I managed to find his place, I was amazed of how big the mansion was. It was quite modern, but still had an old and elegant feel to it. I rang at the door bell still admiring the place.
The door opened and an old man, bald at the top of his head, appeared in front of me.
“Yes?”
“Hello, I’m Lydia Miget. I have an appointment with Mr. Devan today... My boss, Mr. Jake Robertson sent me.”
“Oh, yes, Master Devan told me that you will come today. Come in, please.”
After inviting me in, on the way to the main room he told me that he was a butler in this house, and that he had been working for them for a long time. He became kind of tensed when I started asking about his master, but I thought that it wasn’t comfortable for him to talk about his master behind his back. He seemed pretty praiseworthy.
We entered a room which had a fireplace as the center of attention in the room. The fire was rising beautifully, illuminating the entire room. The furniture was placed so that it could highlight that beautiful fireplace as well, and the walls had a warm color, giving me a pleasant and welcoming feeling. It’s colour was like a nice beige, only a little darker.
„Master Devan, Mrs. Miget is here.”
I turned around and saw at the room entrance a tall man, with black hair and dark blue eyes. I noticed them right away, because it was a color i had never seen before. He had such a deep gaze that i almost lost all my concentration. He smiled and i ‘came back’.
“Hello, miss Lydia. Pleased to finally meet you.”
He had the same polite way of talking like he had when I first talked on the phone with him.
“Hello. I’m pleased too meet you as well, Mr. Devan.”
“Please call me Michael. I hope we’ll get along with each other.”
“Alright… Michael.”
He nodded and then smiled. I don’t know why, but it made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Still, I smiled back at him.
“Would you like some coffee? Or do you prefer tea?”
“Oh… some tea then, thanks.”
He sent the butler to bring the tea and invited me to sit down on the couch as he sat on a chair. He fixed his eyes on me, which made me wonder if I had something on my face.
“…Is there something wrong?...”
“Hm? Oh, no, I was just wondering where you left your luggage.”
I looked at him, confused.
“Didn’t Mr. Robertson tell you?" he asked.
“I’m not really sure about what he should have told me…”
He seemed to be amused by that. In the meantime, the butler showed up with the tea.
As Michael saw that I didn’t have any idea what he was talking about, he decided to tell me himself.
“Well, for the following time, you’ll be living in this house as my instructor.” He said, calmly, like it wasn’t anything significant.
I, on the other hand, got up suddenly and almost made the old man drop the tea while he was putting it in front of me.
“L-L-Live here? With you?”
He laughed a little bit about my reaction.
“Is there something wrong with it?”
“But…”
He smiled, like he was telling me that I had to calm down.
“Don’t worry, my butler will always be here if you need something, and there are a few maids here too. If you don’t plan on going anywhere while I’m not here, you’ll always have them to spend time as well. You have your own freedom here.”
His eyes narrowed for a bit.
“Or is there another reason you don’t want to stay?”
“N…No.”
I couldn’t tell him that I thought it was weird for a woman like me to live in a house with a man like him. Good looking, charming, mysterious. Dangerous. I absolutely couldn’t tell him that.
He smiled at my answer.
“Then it’s settled. Please enjoy your staying here, Lydia.”
I smiled a bit, but this one was only to be polite. In the inside, I was only thinking of boss’s ‘prank’. ‘Mr. Robertson is gonna pay for this…’ I thought. So THIS is why he looked so weird this morning. He really WAS hiding something. Probably he knew I was going to be mad…
But oh well… guess I might as well bear with it. I mean, nothing bad could come out of this… right?

Author: Lacramioara Cobzaru

No comments:

Post a Comment