Sunday 2 May 2010

Night & Day - Chapter VI

Afternoon came fast, but Michael wasn’t back yet. It was already the second day, where could he have gone to all of a sudden…
After realizing my own feelings, I wanted to see him even more. To see him, to talk with him, to drown into his eyes again… Is this the feeling you have when you fall in love with someone?
Looking at the window, I saw that outside is a really beautiful day. I decided to go for a bit into the back garden. I didn’t go there until now, because I wasn’t particularly interested in it… but today I was bored, and the weather was also too beautiful to miss this occasion.
The first feeling I had when I stepped into a garden was a shower of sunrays falling directly on me. Seeing the garden from up close made it even more beautiful. It was just like those you see at the richest of the nobles. The trees, the grass, the flowers… combined, they formed a beautiful place where you could relax all you want. And while admiring it, under a tree, on a bench, on the other side of the garden, I saw Beea…
She seemed like she was resting. Maybe she was tired from all that cleaning… it wouldn’t surprise me, this house is huge… even now I find it unbelievable how she can do it…
I went closer to see if she was asleep or not, but as soon as I got near her, she opened her eyes as she probably heard me coming.
“Hey, sorry… did I wake you up?”
“Hey Lydia…” she said, with a tired voice, but giving me a smile that made me relieved, thinking that I wasn’t really an eyesore…
“No, I wasn’t really sleeping… it was just beautiful outside, so I thought I should rest a bit, that’s all…”
She really seemed tired. I guess her work was really exhausting, if it could tire her out like that…
“Did you finish with the cleaning?”
“Not really… I still have some more to do…”
There was still some more to go, huh…?
“I guess that keeping this house clean isn’t really easy, right…?”
She smiled, awkwardly.
“It’s not that hard once you get used to it…”
Out of an impulse, she took her hand to her neck, and I saw that she had a bandage.
“What’s with the bandage? Did you hurt yourself somewhere?”
Her eyes widened up, as if I just touched a delicate subject. After that, she seemed like she was trying to calm down and act normal.
“Yeah… I scratched myself on a branch while cutting them… nothing big…”
Sounds logic.
“But isn’t that a gardener’s job?”
“Yeah, but… there were a few branches bugging me, so I just cut them… but one caught me as well… heheh…”
“Oh…”
That reminded me…
“Beea, can I ask you something?...What happed to the other workers?”
After a short pause, she gave her answer.
“Well, they’re not working here anymore…”
Yeah, I realized that… but as she didn’t want to give me a proper answer, I started guessing.
“Were they fired or something?”
“Yeah, sort of…” she answered, and still didn’t seem to want to say anything more about it.
So even Michael can get mad at people. I also experience that, but I didn’t get to that ‘level’ yet…
Without realizing, I fell into my own world of thoughts again. And Beea caught that right away…
“You miss master Devan, right?” she said, with a smile that was 50% meant to tease me.
I started blushing instantly because I remembered our discussion that time, and she took it as an answer.
“Did you greet him today?”
I became confused…Today?
She giggled.
“He came back a little while ago.”
My face seemed to have lightened up when I heard that. I was already seeing “blue” in front of me…
She giggled again.
“You should go see him. We’ll talk again later.”
I was somehow hoping for her to say that. Beea was really a nice girl, and even though she also liked Michael, she was taking my feelings into consideration as well. Not everybody would do that.
I got up from the bench.
“Thanks! See you later!”
I think I said that with a little too much enthusiasm, but at that time, I really didn’t care. I wanted to see him so badly…
I walked away from Beea, and I think I was doing that a little too fast. Was I that much in love with him? In such a short time I fell so deeply in love with him that it was painful not seeing him…
I entered the house, and went directly to the living room since it was the first place where I thought he should be in.
But he wasn’t there. The room was untouched from the last time I came in here. I started walking on the corridors, trying to suppress the enthusiasm and eagerness that was flowing inside of me.
But I couldn’t see him anywhere around. Everything was silent…
Then it came into my mind. The library! A place he would surely prefer to spend time in.
I started to walk really fast towards it. If he came back, he would be in there for sure.
Not slowing down at all, I opened the door of the library and entered it.
Nothing. He was nowhere to be seen. I was covered by a big wave of disappointment.
“Hey Lydia, where’s the fire?”
The magic voice that was making my heart race. I turned around, unable to keep in the smile that came on my face.
“Michael…”
“So, did you miss me while I was away?”
Well, at least now he was in a good mood…
Looking at him, my eagerness calmed down, and a warm smile took its place.
“Welcome back, Michael.”
He smiled, half in a smug way, but the other half was also pleased to hear that.
“I’m home.”
He had such a wonderful smile… seeing his face for the first time after realizing my own feelings made my heart beat like crazy, but it also made me feel warm on the inside. For me, he was like a camp fire for a human in the middle of a land surrounded by snow
And seeing my weakness again almost made my heart melt. His eyes, the color of dark blue again, were as mysterious and beautiful as ever. Those eyes, which were causing me addiction…
I’m sure he noticed me just staring, but he didn’t interrupt my ‘day-dreaming’. Instead, he answered using a smile.
But then, I remembered.
“Did you see your parents?”
He looked confused by my question.
“…you went to your parent’s house to take Beea, right? Didn’t you see them?”
“Oh, that… well, they were out…”. He sat on a chair next to him, and made himself comfortable in it. “By the way, did you get along well with her?”
“Yeah, she’s a nice company… her intuition is a little too good, but otherwise she’s a very nice person…”
He looked suspicious towards me, and I wanted to know what he was thinking.
“…Is she a nice company for you as well?”
I don’t know why, but I simply blurted that out. I regretted it immediately after.
But instead of laughing of the stupid question I just asked, his expression became really gentle.
“She’s… one of the only persons who I can truly trust. She’s a really dedicated person when it comes to someone she holds dear…”
He really had a gentle expression while talking about her. Was Beea’s love really only one-sided? Was Michael in love with her as well? Only thinking about that made my heart ache…
But for some reason, when he saw the expression that I had, he seemed to be amused, because I saw a smile coming on his face. I turned my head away, because I didn’t want to get angry at him right from the start.
“Are you, by any chance, jealous?”
That question caught me unprepared. I was a reaaally bad liar…
And him… aside from being in a very suspicious good mood, he also came back with a pair of guts he never had before… well, at least not with me…
“O..Of course not!” I said, but I didn’t dare to try looking at him.
I heard him get up from the chair. That time, I was screaming in my mind for him to go anywhere else but near me. My face was all red right now, and it would be reaally embarrassing if he were to see me.
“Lydia?”
That came from right behind me.
‘Oh, crap…’ I thought.
“Lydia, why won’t you look at me?”
‘Because I know that I wouldn’t be able to hide it anymore if I do!’
I almost wanted to scream that at him, but I kept it in. While trying to calm down, I turned towards him.
He was really close to me. I didn’t notice until I paid attention to it.
His gaze was so intense, almost breath-taking. Another part of him which I didn’t see before. The way he looked like now would make even the greatest of the liars confess everything.
‘That’s cheating!!'
I had to think. Fast. If my love would be only one sided, I would have two choices. First, stay here, continue with my job, but always feeling embarrassed and really awkward every time I see him, and the second one which was frightening me the most was to pack my things and leave that house, meaning I won’t see him ever again. I couldn’t bear to do that…
“Oh my, look at the time, I forgot that I have to meet with a friend of mine, heheh… See you later, Michael!”
I had a really awkward smile, trying to be normal. But the moment I turned around, I dashed out. I didn’t dare look behind, because I knew that my mind would go blank again if I saw him.
Damn those guts of his! Now what?! He definitely realized! He’s not stupid! I’m stupid! Running away like that made me feel like an idiot teenager who had been turned down after confessing. How am I going to look him in the eyes now? Stupid me…

Author: Lacramioara Cobzaru

No comments:

Post a Comment